If you are seriously interested in designing a home for yourself and your family, you should pay attention to these five simple rules for home design. Even if you can not apply them all, I hope you can use one.
1. You should always try to design a home that fits into your community. It would not be a good idea to build a southern-style house in an area where it snows six months a year.
2. Examine some of the houses in the area you are going to build, to see if they have similar designs. If most homes in the area that you intend to build, have a particular roof style or exterior, it would not be a bad idea to know why.
3. Do most houses in your area use the same window manufacturer? Again, there could be a particular reason why the windows of a window manufacturer hold better than others.
4. This one could save you a lot of frustration. Are most houses in your community equipped with security alarm systems? You can always check with your local police department to see if a home security system will be needed before you build.
5. It would not be a bad idea to show your new home design to some of your neighbors. There is nothing worse than designing a house that will be a horror in your neighborhood.
If you are serious about building and designing a new home, it would not be a bad idea to get some books on home design. Just like reading this article, if you can find some tips or things you have not thought of yet and when you really do, this information could prove invaluable someday.