Different types of contractors are available for various activities related to home improvement, such as general maintenance, remodeling, remodeling, outdoor work, and so on. It is the general contractors who take charge of the construction projects. Before you establish yourself as an independent professional or hire the services of such a professional, you must check the basic qualifications and requirements. The following is a list of licenses and other essential specifications for contractors, especially those related to the general category.
1. Possess a degree or basic qualification in construction or related fields and a minimum of 2 years of professional experience in home building, improvement or related activities.
2. Submit a credit report form, which provides details on your ability to repay debts and other long-term expenses that are unavoidable in the course of the work.
3. Provide articles of incorporation and a certificate of good standing from the local or regional appraisal and tax department, especially if you represent any company.
4. Check the state's regulations regarding the license and use of a business name and its availability. You will need to register the name with the assessment and taxation department of the concerned state, and submit a registration certificate for the business name along with the license application.
5. You should have a valid and active liability insurance of $ 50,000.
6. You must renew your license every 2 years.
7. To legally work as a general contractor in the United States, you must:
a. At least 18 years old
b. Have valid proof of citizenship or legal residence document
c. To have an active liability insurance and insurance against accidents at work
d. Possess a valid insurance certificate that includes policy restrictions, the validity date, and so on.
A general contractor is the one who assumes all the construction work and therefore has to take full responsibility for the whole process and the end result. He may hire subcontractors to deal with various aspects of the project. Generally, it signs an agreement that is legally binding to complete the project. This contract can be signed as an individual or representative of the construction company. He hires subcontractors for particular areas such as plumbing, electricity, roofing, etc. and directly employs these workers, including their payments.
Although there are different types of construction specialists with vast experience in their field, they can not claim to be an entrepreneur until they meet certain basic criteria. Each professional must meet certain qualifications and requirements to work as a contractor, legally.