Natural beauty and health products are harder to find than you think. Although many products are labeled "organic" or "natural", the true meaning of these words is often misunderstood and misrepresented by cosmetic manufacturers. We must understand that the cosmetics industry is self-regulated and that it can put everything it wants on its packaging, even if it is misleading, simply because no one is watching. Although there are organic cosmetic certification bodies, most US-based cosmetics companies refuse to be certified.
On the other hand, we are aware that it will no longer be difficult to find these natural organic products. Indeed, the BDIH or the Bundesverband Deutscher Industrie und Handelsunternehmen has created useful guidelines that will help cosmetics manufacturers to only manufacture certified organic / natural cosmetics of the highest quality.
The BDIH is the union of German industries and commercial enterprises in the field of health products, personal hygiene products, pharmaceuticals and dietary supplements. The association is based in Mannheim, Germany and has coordinated nearly 400 manufacturers as well as distributors of cosmetics, nutritional foods, dietary supplements, medicines, etc.
It was in 1996, while working with some of the leading natural cosmetics manufacturers, that the BDIH came with comprehensive guidelines for certified organic and natural cosmetics. And according to the guidelines, a private institution tested more than 2,000 products and published their findings so that consumers would be informed.
What are certified organic and / or natural cosmetics?
These cosmetics are primarily intended for beautification, but they can also provide care to the human body through their ingredients from nature. And getting these natural ingredients was made possible by the readily available natural raw materials.
In any case, manufacturers of beauty products using the organic cosmetic certification logo or the BDIH seal representing "certified natural cosmetics" only use natural raw materials such as fats, waxes , plant oils, essential oils and plant extracts from natural or controlled organic cultures. With these ingredients, you can be sure that products certified by BDIH are really safe to use.
To obtain organic cosmetic certification, certain criteria must be met.
1. The nature of the ingredients and the manufacturing process of organic cosmetics must be transparent. The process must be non-polluting.
2. The product must contain ingredients of natural origin. The entire composition of the organic product must adhere to strict rules and must be meticulously controlled.
3. The use of petrochemical and chemical synthesis materials is totally forbidden.
4. The product must be biodegradable. There should be no bioaccumulation in the body.
5. The exposure of products to radiation is strictly prohibited.
6. The use of genetically modified organisms is also prohibited.
7. The product must not contain less than 95% of natural ingredients or must come from organic farming.
8. Animal testing is not allowed as nature must be fully respected.
9. Packaging or product packaging must be fully recyclable or biodegradable.
10. The exact amount of natural and organic ingredients should be very visible on all products. packaging that bears the ecological or certified organic logos.
If you're looking for true natural organic cosmetics, just search for the organic cosmetic seal and make sure the item meets the stringent quality standards of green production.