The embarrassing state of acne has been attributed to a wide variety of causes throughout the ages. Many people unfairly blame individuals with acne prone skin to be dirty or do not wash their face properly. It is obviously far from the truth that acne can strike anyone, regardless of their personal hygiene habits. Others believe that eating large amounts of chocolate will ensure an escape from acne. This is also not the case, but research has linked acne to a person's diet choices. We will discuss some types of foods that cause acne.
Foods that are very acidic tend to cause acne because they create an imbalance in the pH levels of your body. The foods you should avoid are:
- Vegetables: lentils, squash, corn
- Fruits : currants, plums, prunes, cranberries and blueberries
- Grains : barley, cornstarch, oatmeal , wheat bran, amaranth, rice, rye, wheat germ, noodles, macaroni, spaghetti, bread, crackers, white flour, rolled oats and wheat flour
- Beans and Legumes : chickpeas, green peas, red beans, pinto beans, red beans,
- butter, ice cream, processed cheese, butter and ice milk
- Nuts and butter : peanuts, pecans, walnuts, cashew nuts and butter 19659004] Animal Proteins: bacon, beef, pork, salmon, lamb, fish, clams, cod, mussels, sausages, scallops, turkey, venison, shrimp and lobster
- Fats and Oils: canola oil, lard, oil Olive, sesame oil, sunflower oil, hemp seed oil and safflower oil  Sweeteners: corn syrup, sugar and carob
- Alcohol: alcohols, hard liquor, wine and beer
- Condiments: vinegar, pepper, ketchup and mustard
- Beverages : Coffee and Soft Drinks
- Drugs and Chemicals : Aspirin, Pesticides, Tobacco and Herbicides
If you want to prevent or minimize acne breakouts, you need to replace acidic foods by alkaline foods. Some examples include carrots, cucumbers, garlic, lettuce, tomatoes, apples, grapes, lemons, pineapples, raisins, strawberries, peaches, oranges and almonds. You might be surprised to see so many citrus fruits on this list. The reason is that the specific citric acid they contain has an alkalizing effect on your body that will actually reduce the level of acidity, rather than increase it.
Rather than making an effort to avoid a specific type of food, it's best to avoid acidic food groups that will improve your acne. Replace some of the first list choices with more alkaline foods from the second list. You will soon discover that small changes in your diet can produce big results!