I can only wear gold jewelry, everything else breaks me. " How many times have I heard this sentence from my mother when I was a child?"
Why does everything but gold break my mother? She even true? When I started designing jewelry more than ten years ago, I decided to create jewelry for my mother that she could wear without fear. tell you about what I discovered
My mother, like many people, develops contact dermatitis when her skin comes in contact with certain types of jewelry.Nickel allergies are very common, in fact, a one in seven is likely to suffer from nickel allergy.More often, women tend to suffer from nickel allergies than men with the symptoms of nickel allergy. as the allergy has developed, a person will remain sensitive to nickel for the rest of his life.
Nickel It is found in many types of fancy jewelery, especially those manufactured in series. It can also be found in other everyday items like coins, zippers, eyeglass frames and cell phones.
So, why is my mother allergic to nickel? For some reason, which science still does not understand, her body took nickel (or similar metals like cobalt) as a threat. In response to this threat, his body provokes an immune response (allergic reaction) to eliminate the threat. This reaction causes itching in a rash. But others might have a harsher reaction to nickel.
Now that I knew what was causing my mother to break, I was trying to find out what types of jewelry did not contain nickel.
I first examined gold jewelry . As a general rule, yellow gold (over 14 carats) will not cause an allergic reaction. However, the white gold can. The white gold alloys contain nickel and other "white" metals to produce its silver color. One in nine people will react to white gold nickel.
Another form of gold jewelry is gold filled or "GF" jewelry. The jewelry metal filled with gold is created when a base metal is covered with a gold layer. The filled gold differs from the gold plated by the amount of gold applied. The layer used in gold jewelry is usually 50 to 100 times thicker than the layer used to coat gold-plated products.
Then I looked at silver jewelry. For those who are sensitive to nickel, fine silver and sterling silver are excellent choices for "white" metals.
The late silver is by definition pure silver at 99.9%. The jewelry is usually not made of fine silver because the metal is extremely soft and does not withstand normal wear and tear.
Most silver jewelry is made of sterling silver. Sterling silver is by definition 92.5% pure silver. In most cases, the remaining 7.5% of the metal is copper. The copper is infused to harden the silver and make it more durable. I use this type of sterling silver in my jewelry creations, it's an excellent metal for people allergic to nickel. Sometimes you can distinguish sterling silver by a "925" mark found on jewelry. This is common on fabricated pieces, but may not be present on handcrafted jewelry.
Certain other metals considered safe for persons allergic to nickel are:
Copper and not mixed with nickel or nickel alloys.
Platinum – Platinum jewelry contains 95% platinum and 5% secondary metal, usually iridium
both hypoallergenic and durable. This is a highly recommended metal for those who suffer from nickel allergies.
Niobium – This is a relatively new metal in the jewelry industry. It is a rare earth metal that can be anodized (naturally covered with beautiful colors). Like titanium, this metal is recommended for people allergic to nickel, especially those looking for a touch of color.
As I gave you a list of safe metals, I thought I would give you a list of metal terms to watch for jewelry purchases.
Fashion or costume jewelery usually contains base metals such as nickel. Sometimes these metals are plated; however, the veneer wears over time, exposing the skin to base metals. If you choose a plated metal, remember that it will need to be regularly repainted.
Some have suggested that brass could be a hypoallergenic option. However, my research has suggested that brass is sometimes alloyed with small amounts of nickel or even metal consolidation.
German silver or nickel-silver is a metal that stays out of the jewels. German money does not contain money. Silver refers to the silver color of the metal. The color comes from a combination of nickel, zinc, lead and tin found in the alloy.
Surgical or stainless steel – Surgical grade stainless steel is designed to be present in the human body. However, the steel alloy contains between eight and twelve percent nickel. I have heard various reports on the safety of this metal for people allergic to nickel. Since the steel alloy contains nickel, I would tend to avoid it, but some people swear by it.
If you buy a jewel and are afraid that it does contain nickel, commercial test kits are available online. These kits contain chemicals that react in the presence of nickel.
By doing some research, you can prevent a nickel allergy attack while allowing you to wear beautiful jewelry.