The other day, a realtor whose ads I put up for sale introduced me to someone as a "designer." I did not want to take the time to fix it, but I told myself: "This is not the first time I hear people using a" designer "wrongly, this is Is often used to label someone who is an interior decorator, why does everyone embrace us all in one category, while we all clearly do something different? "
To summarize the differences succinctly:
- Interior Design of other things, the preparation of documents often by a licensed professional for the construction of a interior space such as plans and elevations, and details and specifications, including lighting, food and communication venues, materials and finishes. Decoration involves the decoration of surfaces in the interior space, such as fabrics, wall coverings, furniture s, decorative accessories, flooring, fixtures, etc., and takes into account the lifestyle, taste, needs and preferences of the user. spa this. While interior designers can decorate, interior decorators do not design.
- Home Staging prepares the home for sale by updates and "decorate" so that it makes use of the widest range of buyers for the market.
- Interior Remesign is often done by home stagers for homeowners who are not currently selling because it employs many of the same principles that home stagers use, such as primarily using what furniture and decorative accessories the owner already has, with an eye towards the future sale of the house.
Now let's explore each one more deeply.
According to the National Council of Interior Design Qualifications (NCIDQ):
- Interior Design is a Profession multi-faceted in which creative and technical solutions are applied in a structure to achieve a built indoor environment.
- These solutions are functional, improve the quality of life and occupant culture and are aesthetically appealing.
- Designs are created in response to and coordinated with the build shell and recognize the physical location and social context of the project. The interior design process follows a systematic and coordinated methodology, including research, analysis and integration of knowledge into the creative process, whereby the needs and resources of the client are satisfied. to produce an interior space that accomplishes the project goals.
The American Society of Interior Designers (ASID) is the leading organization for interior design professionals. Certain levels of its members must meet certain requirements in terms of studies, work experience and examinations administered by the NCIDQ. In addition, some states have licensing requirements for interior designers that include passing this exam. ASID also has continuing education requirements for its members.
It's no wonder that people often confuse Interior Decorating and Interior Design. Even I had a hard time finding a definition for interior design. Often, he says "see the interior design".
Perhaps its best to understand interior decoration as it exists in contrast to interior decoration:
- A decorator would choose flooring according to his tastes and lifestyle from the client, while the interior architect would go further and look at the use, transfer of sound, flammability, etc.
- A decorator would choose lighting fixtures, while the interior architect would plan lighting and
- An interior decorator does not need from formal training and / or work experience, testing or licensing, unlike an interior architect
Home Staging ]
Home Staging is the art and science of preparing a house for sale, so that it makes use of the widest range of buyers in order to sell quickly and for the best price. The goal is to make sure that the potential buyer falls in love with the house, imagine living there and aspire to the lifestyle of the house.
According to the Consumer Guide of the Real Estate Staging Association there is "a systematic and coordinated method in which knowledge of real estate, home renovations and creative design principles is applied to attract a buyer. "
The staging of houses includes all or part of:
- Evaluation of decorative furniture and fixtures (cushions, objets d'art, objets de decoration, lamps, trinkets, etc.) that the owner has, and:
– by eliminating certain furniture and / or decorative accessories, otherwise known as decluttering and depersonalization (removal of family photos, trophies, collections etc. so that the buyer can consider living there)
– arrange furniture and fixtures for optimal placement feed (capacity to walk freely in the room), focal point enhancement (ex .: Accentuation of a chimney or of a beautiful sight), balance (there there too much or too big pieces in the library or on one side of the room?) and the positive aspects of the house by minimizing the negatives
- Choose carefully for the purchase or rental, if necessary, the appropriate furniture and accessories for the style of the house and its market.
- Recommend, implement and / or arrange improvements, upgrades and repairs such as painting, flooring, sinks, lighting, window treatments, landscaping
Redesign Interior  As stated above, interior design is like home staging, but it improves the home for homeowners rather than for potential buyers. And he does it with an eye towards his future sale. This is like the domestic staging using mainly the existing furniture and decorative accessories of the client to transform the space, and may also involve the purchase of additional furniture and accessories as well as updates colors of walls, windows, lights, etc. 19659002] Abstract
To sum up the differences:
- Interior Design involves planning all aspects of the interior space often by an accredited professional.
- Interior Decorating involves the ornament of surfaces in the interior space. Interior decorators can decorate, but interior decorators do not design.
- Home Staging prepares the house for sale through updates and exhibitions so that it will appeal to as many buyers as possible for the market.
- Interior Redesign uses many of the same principles as home stagers, including primarily using furniture and home decor accessories that the owner already owns, for future sale of the home.