Do you remember playing with puppets in your hand when you were a kid? Did your parents buy a puppet or did your mother show you how to make one?
A puppet can be created on a stick, or a finger of your hand. A sock pocket can be created with a solitary sock that has been left by a runaway partner. Or fingers can be folded into a slightly closed fist, draw a set of lips and eyes and he is ready for the puppet. Add a voice to your character supported by a script to tell a story and the show is now live.
These three simple methods of puppet making have existed and entertained children and adults for many decades. Puppets are fun because they challenge our creativity, our imagination and our artistic talents
What's a puppet?
This is an object made of wood, paper, cloth, sawdust, straw, cotton and other materials. who can be trained to represent a person, an animal or an object. The puppeteer gives life to a puppet by moving his soft parts of the hand, ropes, chopsticks or mechanical and electronic methods.
Nine types of puppets:
- Finger – Simple painting on a finger that very young children enjoy
- Sock Barr Tillstrom presented puppets Kukla, Fran and Ollie … Then Shari Lewis with Lamb Chop.
- Marionette (operated with ropes) Ronnie Burkett and her puppets, and Howdy Doody created by Buffalo Bob Smith.
- Ventriloquist: Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy. The world famous today is Jeff Dunham with his latest model called Achmed the Terrorist.
- Body Puppet: The famous and popular piece, The Lion King by Julie Taymor, is a great example of people being in characters and activating mechanisms to activate puppets in action.
- Mechanical puppets: The use of small or mini-machines to operate the different parts of the puppet or doll.
- Wire puppet: Dolls and puppets that work by pulling a string. The most popular version of a pull chain is dolls that speak when the chain is pulled. Words like "I love you" are spoken or it could be an animal that makes sounds or speaks. Pull the Ropes Move your mouth, arms and head.
- Rod puppet: A singular rod holds the head or body of the puppet upright or sticks can be attached to the hands or arms to create movement. The Muppet show featured Kermit the frog and Miss Piggy. Sesame Street introduced Cookie Monster.
- Shadow Puppet: These are puppet shadows that are created by shining a light on a clear screen. The children have all experienced shadow puppets. Place your hands in front of a light source and look at the shadow images projected against the wall. I bet you never knew these are puppet pictures.
Most puppet operators are shy individuals, but behind a mask, they are very confident and make excellent artists. The mask in this case is the puppet who is the target of attention and public exposure.