Strawberries are officially a great food! They taste great, are versatile cooking ingredients, are available all year round, and the nutrition they offer is through the roof. It has been shown that eating strawberries regularly provides a variety of health benefits.
Any good diet includes large amounts of antioxidants, especially vitamin C, flavonoids, phytochemicals and ellagic acid. Strawberries have it all, and they're also rich in folate, iodine, potassium and magnesium. This rich variety of healthy components is what makes strawberries so beautiful. Here are only 10 of the health benefits provided by strawberries:
1. Boost your immune system – a strong immune system helps you fight infections and diseases, whether large or small.
2. Fight cancer – many different cancers. High levels of ellagic acid are particularly useful here because they can render carcinogenic molecules ineffective. Studies have shown that the ability of strawberries to fight free radicals and work against potentially cancerous cells can fight breast, esophageal, pancreatic, prostate, colon and skin cancers . Maintain good eyesight – both antioxidants and potassium can fight macular degeneration in many ways. The elimination of free radicals helps prevent cataracts and degeneration of the optic nerve, preserving sight. Potassium helps maintain the right pressure on your eyes so you do not have eye problems.
4. Prevent Alzheimer's Disease – Strawberries fight against free radicals that attack brain tissue as you age, keeping your brain younger, which can slow down or even prevent the progression of Alzheimer's disease. Iodine also works to promote strong brain function.
5. Fight wrinkles – it can mean more to your mental health than your physical health, but it's worth it. Strawberries help your skin build collagen (the component that keeps your skin firm), which usually starts to decline with age.
6. Acts as an anti-inflammatory – the power of strawberries to prevent inflammation is another way to keep your skin young. However, this health benefit also helps prevent joint pain and arthritis.
7. Great source of fiber – no one wants waste to accumulate in their intestines, but it's hard to eat enough fiber to keep things going. Strawberries are a rich source of fiber that can keep your bowels clean and help slow the absorption of blood sugar.
8. Fight against heart disease – strawberries do this by reducing the bad type of cholesterol that can lead to plaque buildup on your heart. The nutrients in vitamin B found in strawberries strengthen the muscles of your heart.
9. Regulate your blood pressure – Magnesium and potassium found in strawberries neutralize many effects of too much salt that could otherwise result in high blood pressure. This is another way that strawberries also help prevent coronary heart disease.
10. Healthy Babies – Folate in Strawberries Can Prevent Congenital Malformations. Ingesting large amounts of folic acid during pregnancy can help the proper development of your baby's spinal cord, skull, and brain. The earlier in your pregnancy, you start eating strawberries, the better.