I own a home appliance repair business in Florida and a large majority of our appliance repair calls could have been avoided if the homeowner knew what he was looking at in a machine that does not work correctly. The appliance repair service companies charge $ 50 to $ 100 to come to visit you, which you will pay even if we do not repair anything. So doing a basic one time should be the minimum you do to make sure that you do not just give money. Here is our list of the top ten things to look for and possibly fix before calling a repair professional.
It is irrelevant of this article to explain how to fix everything, but we offer some tips. If you start with this list and determine the problem, and you still want to solve it, use Google to find out how to fix it. If not, you can always call an appliance repair company to come fix it for you, but you'll look much more informed and maybe it'll just have the party with it when he will come.
The refrigerator does not cool, the freezer is thin
1. This is probably one of the most common problems, so I listed it first. Most people do not realize that the refrigerator section works entirely by blowing the fresh air from the freezer to the refrigerator through a vent with a fan. It's like that, that's how it works. It is not so cold in the refrigerator because the vent is small, and if the vent is blocked, it will not cool the refrigerator properly. Make sure you do not have a box of Bubba Burgers® or a bag of peas in the vent.
2. Sometimes the fan stops blowing the air. In this case, you probably have a bad fan. It's icy in your freezer, it's like that they've got the name, so calm down on that little dead and frozen sailor. You can change the fan quite easily.
3. Maybe you have a bad seal. Do not do it like in the big frozen North, I'm talking about the seal around the door. The air contains moisture, and if a small cloud gets into your freezer, it will make ice cubes in your air duct leading to the refrigerator. It's as bad as your lifestyle eating meat. Even the smallest crack can do it. Replace the gasket. If the fridge is old, get yourself a new fridge because it's hard to do so, and trying to splice a gasket for another refrigerator is almost impossible.
Freezer and refrigerator, not refrigerated
4. Spin the wheel and win a prize. You could win big or lose everything on this one.
If starting the compressor is difficult, you may have a bad capacitor. It's easy to repair. Capacitors are like little batteries, but also like ass kicks to the head. They contain a ton of juice and are used to start the engines. Once the compressor starts, they can recharge and wait for the next ass stroke. You can reload a second capacitor on the existing one. It is really not hard. There are two wires that go on two connectors. Most terminal blocks are already built to take them.
If the compressor itself is bad, bring your refrigerator to the metal recycler and bring home a new refrigerator. Without your refrigerator will cost you more than $ 1,200 and is relatively new, it probably is not worth repairing. Today 's cooling systems are self – contained and most appliance repair companies will not touch them. Sorry.
Water under the refrigerator
5. Usually this is caused by the overflow of the broiler pan. Why do you have so much ice cream in the first place? Probably a leaky seal around the door. You could also have a broken water line or loose connection to the ice maker. If you've ever blamed the dog for peeing on the floor and you realize it was not his fault, give him a cookie to be loyal to an unworthy master.
The oven does not cook or grill
6. Turn on the grill, does it work? (The grill is the burner element on the top of the oven.) Turn on the cooking, the cooking element will turn on (The cooking element is at the bottom of the oven.) one or the other works, but not both, so you probably have a bad element. If none of them suddenly works, you could have a bad relay, a circuit board or a timer.
To check an individual item, take a flashlight and turn it on the item that does not work. Look for a place where it seems to have melted. If you see a melted point on the element, it must be changed. You can buy these parts online and some of them at Sears. The items are easy to change, shop online for yours. The relays are easy too. Unplug the oven before attempting any repairs and you should let it sit for 30 minutes to allow the energy and heat to run off. To change a relay, remove the back panel of the oven to expose the old relay. The new one just plugs in its place.
The stove burner does not heat
7. Probably a bad thing. These are very easy to change if you do not have glass tops. Simply unplug and replace at Sears, Home Depot or Lowes. As always, make sure that it is not plugged in or warm before touching the item. Be very careful if you have a window, they are heavy and delicate. Put a towel on the floor where you plan to place glass or it will break each time.
The puck does not turn
8. It's time to have fun! This is the big money maker for appliance repair companies. We just hate when you call us for it! This is probably the lid switch. There, I told him. That wizards from the device hit me dead. There is no easier solution in the field of home appliances than this. It works like that, the washer lid, when it's closed, triggers a switch to shut down the engine. Turn off the rap music and the TV draining the brains and listen for the click when you open and close the lid. The switch is probably bad if you do not hear it. Find this thing. They often rust and come off. There will be a pair of wires going there. You can twist the wires together and get around completely, but do not chase me if you stick your arm in the washer while it's on and make you look like a cheater on the Lifetime® channel. The purpose of the switch is to avoid the responsibility of the manufacturers, so that the machine detects and stops rotating when the lid opens. You are an adult (so-called), so take responsibility for yourself and do not worry. Cut the switch, twist the wires together and put black tape on it. You are ready to leave. Keep arms and legs away from things fast and dangerous at all times. If you have a cat or a child, it may not be a good idea, so replace it.
The washer is not empty
9. Do not ask me where your socks are going. Did you really think that there was a mysterious land with Charlie the Unicorn? He does not even wear socks. Remove the back of your washer and remove the pump, there is an old sock in it.
The dryer does not heat sufficiently
10. It says right inside the door of the dryer to clean your lint filter after each use, but you probably already know it. If you have not cleaned it, remove it and remove the thumb of insulation and put it in your attic. If you have cleaned it, you are always on the right track. The pressurized air can not go anywhere, just like a plane has no destination as well as an arrival place. Check the exhaust pipe leading to the outside of your building. Make sure the tube is clear up to the grapefruit tree in your Florida parent's garden. If you are in an apartment building, it could mean calling the maintenance man to clean the tube. That's what we would do, and you can do it.
There are many other things that could be, but this is my list of the top ten that you can solve and maybe fix it yourself quite easily. But by all means, if you want it professionally fixed, call and get a good price, but I do not recommend that you use Craigslist for that. Repair companies are generally of poor quality, without a business, and you will not get good services. If they burn your house or flood your wood floor, are they sure to cope with the expenses? Probably not.
If you are in Brevard County, we will be happy to repair your device at Brevard Appliance Repair .
Bubba Burgers® is a registered trademark of BUBBA Foods LLC. Lifetime® is a registered trademark of Lifetime Entertainment Services, LLC, a subsidiary of A + E Networks.