Underground irrigation repair without digging – All it takes is a heat gun!

[ad_1]

I developed this despair irrigation repair technique. One day, a sprinkler head was thrown next to me and landed in a potted plant. The resulting geyser was spectacular, but its location was horrible!

The area around this sprinkler head was surrounded by cobblestones and bricks, and worse, against a fence. To make things more difficult, I had installed a French drain just one foot! The nipple of the riser was missing. Of course, a replacement hose would not even begin to screw! Obviously, the broken part of the nipple was stuck in the T-connector – deep underground! Before developing this technique, it would have been necessary to dig side trenches about 2 feet long on each side of the connector, cut the power lines at each end of the connector, add a sleeve and a spacer, and then stick a replacement T-connector. Not this time!

I have a special tool that I bought at Home Depot, just for this problem. This is the PVC variant of an "easy-out". Unfortunately, it would not work! I could not have enough pressure (the connector was buried about the entire length of the extractor) and I continued scratching my fingers against a fence post. The stand-pipe was not PVC, it was vinyl. It was so smooth, the edges of the extractor knife would not bite into the inner edge.

But the vinyl melts! I have a 1200 watt heat gun that I had bought for paint stripping. The tip of the extractor is metal and using this heat gun, I had the tip of the hot extractor. Very hot Burning! By pushing the extractor directly into the hole, it melted gently into the broken nipple – deep underground! I let him sit and cool for a few minutes before giving him a touch. Two seconds later, the broken nipple was extracted!

After screwing a replacement riser, I rotated the irrigation pump to this area to flush out any dirt that had fallen into the connector. I put a new watering head on the replacement column, and guess what? This repair of irrigation was made. Not only did, I did not have to dig a shovel of earth!

The trick was to heat the tip of the extractor enough to melt it into the broken vinyl teat in order to grab it.

A few weeks later, I had a different problem. I had mounted new window boxes along one of the side walls of my house and wanted to use my underground irrigation system to water the new flowers. I had a riser closed at the place where I needed to place a 4 foot column. Unfortunately, it was an old steel riser on which I clashed repeatedly with the mower, and when I removed the hose, the T-connector wires were stripped and smothered at the Rust scale! Unlike most of my irrigation repair projects, this line is very shallow. Shallow enough for me to scratch the top to really see the damage.

I could not do anything to put on the new column, I had to replace the T-connector – or maybe not. I have a fairly complete store and I have metal working tools to tap holes for screw threads, or cut outside threads for bolts. Since I had to go to Home Depot or Lowe anyway for a T-connector replacement, why not see if they had a tool for the tubing wires?

Lowe staff laughed when I asked them for a tool to cut 1/2 "thread for an underground PVC T-piece! Their only advice was to dig it up and replace it. Not at all! Home Depot's staff did not laugh, but also suggested replacement fittings. [19659002] I bought the fittings, but I also found the perfect tool – a length 1 "steel pipe length of 18"! Again, the heat gun 1 200 watts .Heating the end of the pipe, the wire section, j & I was able to plunge it into the buried T – connector, it sizzled while it was sinking and I quickly pushed it in as I leaned it out. screwed the steel pipe to prevent it from welding in place.I repeated this operation several times until all the threaded section of the pipe was in the pinch of the T-detector.

Guess what? The new PVC riser 4 "replacement is threaded directly! By using heat, pressure, and steel wires, I was able to partially melt the tee and cut new wires. Not a shovel full of earth has been dug up for this irrigation repair!

Since then, I have helped neighbors with their irrigation repair projects that left them stunned. actually cut new wires underground without having to dig "- Wow, thank you Bill, really big thanks!

All irrigation repairs can not use this technique. Let's look at things in face, if the nipple of the T-connector or the connecting pipes break or burst, you will have to dig in. But first try this trick and see if it works.You will know in the menus it There is a more serious problem.You'll be wet standing, but you will quickly see a rise around the sprinkler head in operation if there is a broken hose or cracked nipple.Well, at least , you did a try!

I've had this heat gun at a low price of $ 20 for over twenty years.Not only does it do a great job lifting the paint, but I also use it to repair electric boats (thermowell Orractable), remove self-adhesive vinyl tile, contact paper and sanding discs and even fire. This is not a hair dryer – keep it safe, keep it away from you!

In conclusion, I was able to use my cheap heat gun and cheaper steel tubes to apply enough heat and pressure to reshape the removed internal threads and enough of raw heat to leave the edges of another tool cut out of material that without this tool, would have required to dig a lot of dirt for these simple irrigation repair projects!

[ad_2]

Source by William Proctor Jr

About the author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.